Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Once-In-A-Lifetime Opportunity? Or Scam?



"Phoenix Creation Rising"


Here's a story from behind the scenes.... 

I opened my emails this morning to this (what seemed at first) exciting invitation. 

Thinking joyfully 'Oh, what a great start into the New Year!', I was ready to pay my application fee (as artists we have to pay jury fees, application fees, just to be even considered for shows, events, etc) when I wondered 'Where did they get my email from?' They said I was pre-selected, and then I have to pay? Hmmm... flags started waving at me.... How do you discern between offers and proposals that are legit and those that are simply scamming for money? 

Of course, I went ahead and researched them online (so grateful for reviews! 🍀💚). They have a good looking website, and then, this all can be faked and 'half-truths' (which means 'lies'). 

I checked their reviews, and most of them are.... not positive. 

I went further and read all the rules for their program, but couldn't find any phone number... (another flag). And then, it says you're not supposed to contact artists who had been at the residency????? (now, that's a smelly cat!, not just a flag) 

Funny thing is, I had started looking into residencies.... 

Here's the email that I got from them (an indicator could be, if it sounds too good to be true, it IS too good to be true and pure lies!):

"Dear Bettina,

Here's wishing you a happy new year!

We have some great news! Due to requests received, we have extended the deadline to enter the ... Residency opportunity! This means, that those of you who haven't been able to send in your application yet, now have until 4 January to do so!

Remember, only a few select artists have been chosen to submit their work for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so this round's winner could be you!
Please ensure all artwork you would like to submit is sent in full by 4 January 2020 using the following link:....
If you wish to do so, you are able to enter more than once! For any additional information, please see FAQ.....

We will inform you of the results on 14 January 2020, after the judging panel has made their final selection.
Good luck for your entry and let me know if you have any questions.
Regards,
BlaBlaBla "

__________

Now what? What can I receive from this? 


  1. Immense gratitude for my awareness (our awareness is the greatest tool we have)
  2. Not getting hung up in the 'wrongness' of it. Nice try! Now where are the legitimate residencies? What other amazing proposals and invitations can I receive?
  3. When something looks too good to be true, it usually is.
  4. When someone says 'this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity' push your 'super-awareness-buttons', use humor and ask questions (you don't want opportunities but possibilities) Ask youself: Is this an opportunity or a possibility? If it's an opportunity, walk away.
  5. Ask questions such as: "What is possible now?" 🍀💚🌳

Some people might say, oh the internet is bad! You get scammed when they find your contact info.


What if the internet is not bad? Via the internet, anyone can find our businesses, our art, creations such as books, songs, anything we're creating.

We simply need to be more aware! If you have a 'twisting sensation' in your stomach, ask questions! 

For me, how this all works is, when I'm about to pay for something, I might have a moment of hesitation. My money sort of doesn't want to go there. How cool is that? When I get that, I look deeper, ask for more information, such as: 
  • "Where do I find the information that I require?"
  • "What is this? What do I do with this? Do I have to do anything with this?    Or do I walk away?"
  • "What am I aware of?"
  • And in the case of my money, I'm grateful for my money to give me the awareness. "Thank you, my money! I'm so grateful for you! What's it going to take for you to duplicate with ease, so we can even create more awareness in the world?"
What if our money has our back? My money has my back. I asked it for it, and it's more than happy to be that space for me.

Can you see how this 'incident' is now creating FOR me? 

What if nothing is right or wrong, but we can create with all the energies?

I choose to create with the energy that these scammers are using. It's just energy. Energy is energy.  

I play with it. And create with it.

So can you. That's a choice that you have to make, though!

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment